Monday, February 15, 2010

Time to run

As of last Saturday (Feb. 13th), it was exactly four weeks to the Rex Lee Run. There is still time to train, if you're interested. The Rex Lee Run is around BYU's campus and still only costs $15, and you'll get the race t-shirt. The money goes towards cancer research.

Lots of families run this race, and I've had everyone from my parents, siblings and nieces run the race. I've seen plenty of baby strollers, retirees, a blind person, and a pregnant lady cross the finish line. They are going to have the timing chips that register your start and finishing times, so you don't have to be right on the starting line when the gun fires to get an accurate measure of your race. Even with the chips, you still may want to stay ahead of the strollers.

Last year was the first year that I haven't run the Rex Lee Run in the past 6 or 7 years. Between time and money (mostly the time) I didn't think I was ready to run. 2005 was my best time, and I had only gotten larger and slower in 2006-2008. I did run with my nieces (who were in the under 12 category) a couple of times. But last year I was so busy with school and home that training for a run seemed too complicated.

This year, I'm not sure how well I'm training. I am running, but nothing very complicated. 3 or 4 days a week, and nothing too strenuous. I want to run this year, even though I won't have much of a chance to break my best time: 24min 43sec.

If you're looking for ideas in how to train, check out these sources:
Hal Higdon's Novice 5k
Couch to 5k
Both of these can be adapted to your fitness level; start in the middle of the 8 weeks or whatever.

1 comment:

Ryan RoxAnn Erica and Aubrey said...

best of luck Dave. I wish I had motivation to even start. Maybe after baby.