Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Grumpy Rooster

Yesterday, my over 2 year-old niece and my under 2 year-old daughter found some of Grandma and Grandpa's books that they brought back from their mission in Africa. They were good picture books and children's stories. The book they snuck into the other room had a big color drawing of a rooster on the cover: Le coq qui ne voulait plus chanter. (If my French is any good: "The rooster who no longer wanted to crow".) This is a children's story by an Ivory Coast author, Fatou Keita.

My niece was excited when she saw that I was willing to read her the book and we could look at all of the pictures. Turning to the third page as I continued reading my niece stops me.

"I'm gonna get another book."

I know I didn't pronounce every word correctly, but I didn't think my French pronunciation was unbearable. Maybe I'll just finish the book on my own.

* And what better to illustrate a post about an African story in French, than a painting by Spanish artist. At least the title is Le Coq (Joan Miro, 1940).

2 comments:

Edna Roberts said...

that is a really cool picture! It is my favorite one by Joan Miro! I had to do a report for art class about a paint when I was young, and I choose that picture. I know a lot about it and it is really special to me. It means a lot to me that you put it on your blog!

fishie said...

Edna,

I don't know anything about the artist, but I was a definite fan as soon as I saw the painting. Such fun art.