Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Books on Palm

I originally sent this out as a email to a bunch of friends in August of 2002, but was reminded of this while reading another book on my palm with plenty of errors.

---===---

so,

there is this program that converts a text file into a PDB file that i can read on my palm pilot. somewhere between the book getting scanned the first time into a computer text file and the final PDB, certain errors occur. for instance, occasionally the computer fuses something like "hut" and turns it into "but". or perhaps the word "in" is fused and appears as an "m". or maybe something will be split. "door" may end up as a "cloor". with that in mind, here is a sample sentence from Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Shadow".


"He looked down at his hands, nodded, then laid his head on his anus and sobbed."


aNUs has the same number of vertical lines as aRMs (in the lower case of course), but this by far has been the most disturbing off all of the errors i have encountered.

050404

1 comment:

Murtah said...

I'm reading this book RIGHT now, I encountered this error and was so confused I had to Google it SO glad I found your explanation, I couldn't work out Why/How Bean managed to place his head on his Anus.